Cheeses with a sticky orange rind are called washed-rind cheeses. These are softer than the natural rind varieties and have a pungent, smoky and even meaty taste and aroma. Washed-rind cheeses include those known as Trappist or monastery-style.
Champfleury is a soft cheese with a coppery orange rind that has a pronounced bouquet and an exceptional fruity flavour. It pairs well with a Pinot Gris wine.
From the fromagerie d’Oka, this cheese undergoes a fifteen day ripening process in the original cellars of the Cistercian abbey in Oka, Quebec. The fruity aroma gives way to a creamy, subtle taste.
This semi-soft, unpasteurized cow’s milk cheese is one of the most popular Canadian cheeses. Produced from an original recipe brought to Canada by Benedictine monks in 1893 is aged for two months in the Oka abbey’s original cheese cellar. Its deceptively strong bouquet masks a creamy and nutty taste that pairs well with vegetables or as a dessert cheese.
Also available: OKA Light, OKA Raclette, OKA with Mushrooms and OKA l’Artisan
This cheese originates from the Bearn region of France, where it was invented in 1976. It has the same attributes as Camembert, but it is not as strong.
Epoisses “Les Echauguettes” Holiday Season
A spicy, tangy, disc-shaped cheese from Burgundy. It has a strong bouquet and moist supple texture which ripens to the point of liquefaction. Made from late spring and summer pasture milk, it has a three month curing period.
This famously pungent cheese has a thick texture and a spicy flavour that develops into richer textures over time.
Champignon la Rougette Holiday Season
This triple creme soft cheese is enveloped in a rind that is both bloomy and washed. Its bright red rind is washed five times where it is produced in Bavaria, and its taste is buttery and complex with a semisoft texture.
This cheese is also known as Danish Port Salut. It is a Trappist-style, pale yellow cheese with a full, sweet flavour. Its texture is slightly elastic and it is commonly used as both a table and a melting cheese. It was produced at Esrom Abbey until 1559, when its recipe was lost. The process for making it was rediscovered in 1951.